© IBBK BIOGAS 2018
24th September - 2nd October 2019
7-day In-depth Course, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany
“proBIOGAS International – Biogas engineering and operating training with plant visits”
Calling all biogas plant operators and AD enthusiasts…
If you want to really understand…
- How exactly biogas is produced from organic waste and biomass
- What to do when you run into troubles with your day-to-day operation
- What the most modern biogas technologies are
- If you should even consider building a biogas plant
- Which type of biogas plant makes sense for your available substrates
- What the most experienced biogas plant operators do every single day
…then this event is for you.
Even if you’ve never had to deal with anything related to biogas in your life before.
During this 7-day, highly focused biogas training you will acquire specific operating and engineering knowledge regarding the biogas processes and available technologies.
In the last 20+ years in the biogas trenches, we have collected boatloads of valuable know-how.
This means you will only get the absolute best, directly applicable tips, examples and lessons learned.
As you probably already know, biogas production is a very fragile process that depends on lots of factors:
- Which substrate you use
- Wet vs. dry fermentation
- Process temperature
- How much and how often you feed
- Which mixers and stirrers are installed
- And many, many more…
You see, every case is different.
Every project is different.
It all depends!
Depends on what?
On your unique situation…
Which is why we have started doing these types of live trainings more than a decade ago.
To give people just like you the unique opportunity to ask the very specific questions you need to ask.
And to also forward these questions to the right pair of ears.
Sure, we also offer special consultation services…but these are much more expensive and might not make sense for your situation.
Besides, it’s not every day that we get together a group of experts such as during this event.
All of the presenters you will meet in this training have at least 10 years of practical experience in their special biogas niche.
Which means they have most likely faced the very same challenges you are facing right now.
Best part: they will give their presentation on this subject first – and then stick around for all of your questions afterwards.
Over the many years of conducting these events, we have found out that the most valued part by all participants is the chance to directly interact with the experts.
Be it through questions during their presentation…
Conversations during lunch and coffee breaks…
Or even directly on the biogas plant during one of the five plant visits.
Participation fee: 2150* €
*all prices are subject to 19 % VAT.
Discount for students and more than two participants from one company or organization available upon request. Please get in touch with us under firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Hohenheim – State Institute of Agricultural Engineering and Bioenergy – Room HS20
70593 Stuttgart, Germany
University of Hohenheim is located about 8 km from Stuttgart Airport in the South of Stuttgart.
There is also a direct connection via subway from Stuttgart center.
Simply exit at the final stop called “Plieningen” from where you can walk the last 400 m or so to the venue.
Click HERE to download the list of the nearby hotels.
GOT A QUESTION?
Just send an inquiry to email@example.com and we’ll get back to you within one business day.
Or just give us a call directly between 9 am and 5 pm on business days to +49(0)7954 / 926203
It’s all about coming together for a common cause, getting the most out of the multi-decade knowledge that is present during these 7 days…
And return back home with the specific action steps you need to take to advance with your biogas project.
And it doesn’t matter what your previous knowledge is.
The combination of presentations, workshops and question & answer-sessions together with two and a half days of biogas plant visits will fill every possible knowledge gap you have.
On the 2-day field trips, you will have the opportunity to see biogas plants with new, ground-breaking concepts and technology in Germany first-hand.
For your best experience, we’re going to be doing biogas plant visits on the following, specific focus areas:
- Biogas upgrading to biomethane with grid injection
- Digestate treatment and upgrading
During these visits you will be guided by both the biogas plant operator and our experts.
You will gain profound insights into the daily operation of the plant while always being assisted by our specialists with both practical and theoretical experience.
On the laboratory day you will receive practical tips for the optimisation of your anaerobic digestion process through the analysis of fermentation samples.
This BIOGAS#HANDS ON course is ideal for:
- Biogas plant operators & staff
- Farmers planning to operate an AD facility
- Government officials engaged with AD
- Academic researchers looking for practical answers
See the video from our international biogas training course last September in Stuttgart:
By enrolling in this small and exclusive seminar, you will get:
- All seminar lectures including decades of worthy biogas related information
- 1 on 1 time with all speakers, allowing you to pick their brain
- Access to multiple different biogas plants
- Exclusive insight into the most advanced biogas technologies IN ACTION
- Local snacks and lunches directly in the facility
- A close group interaction with worldwide participants sharing a common interest
- Cultural and sightseeing opportunities in Stuttgart
- Personalized and signed participation certificate
This training is segmented in the following theoretical and practical elements:
- 4-1/2 days of class lessons
- 2 days of field trips
- 1/2-day onsite measurements
The training is structured so that you have a weekend break to explore the local culture, go shopping and enjoy the local cuisine.
The lectures are held by 10+ specialised instructors bundling the profound knowledge of Germany’s most experienced biogas experts.
All of our speakers have been working for at least 10 years in the field of biogas, both in industry and operation. This course stands out through its interactive character, with small classrooms and ample time for discussion and knowledge exchange.
We specifically limit the number of participants to keep interaction high and to make sure every participant can get maximum value out of this event.
Interactive group work / IBBK CEO and senior biogas expert Michael Köttner
A crucial element of the training consists of a laboratory session at a biogas plant: the participants get the chance to learn about the day-to-day analysis of digester samples.
The expert will teach you how to test fundamental parameters during operation, keep record of the data and interpret the results based on examples from practice. This interactive exercise is carried out by a long-term biogas consultant, enabling you as the participants to turn theory into practice.
“Haptic” substrate analysis / Interactive group work
During the field trip days on Thursday and Friday, we will visit four different biogas plants in the region of Stuttgart and Southern Germany, the cradle of the biogas technology in Germany.
You will get in touch with plant operators and visit carefully selected, established and successful biogas plant concepts. The used substrates range from maize- and grass-silage, through liquid and solid manure, to bio- and food-waste.
Each of these plants is unique in its technology and approach so you can see for yourself which one fits for which case.
Taking a look inside the digester / Technology explanation on a biogas plant
What's Included in the program?
(Subject to change)
Practical plant engineering
- Overview of the Biogas technology and its future development
- Introduction into plant technology
- Planning & designing of stirring and mixing techn. for digesters, pits & storages
- Decision criteria for a biogas plant
Practical digester biology
- Introduction into digester biology
- Crucial substrate parameters and their impact on plant performance
- Start-up phase and practical measures for monitoring the digestion process
- Meet the challenge – how to digest fibrous and N-rich feedstocks
- Process control and process optimization
- Pre-treatment and pre-storage technology
- Day to day maintenance on a biogas plant
- Biogas specific building materials for for sustainable plant operation
- Biogas desulphurization
- Proper usage of organic fertilizer
- Cogeneration to heat and power – gas utilization
- Measurement and data recording for optimization, stabilization and enhancement of the biogas process
- Results of a comparative study of biogas plants in Germany
- Organic waste fermentation technology – processes and biological stability
Activities in the field
- Visit of an agricultural biogas plant using the Sauter mixing system
- Visit of a dry-fermentation plant with composting
- Interactive field session – on site tests and interpretation of operating modes
- Visit at the biogas laboratories of the University of Hohenheim
- Taking a detailed look at an innovative digestate upgrading facility
- 4-1/2 days in-class training
- 2 days study tour, visiting plants
- 1/2-day lab-session
- All slides of the training lectures + additional biogas literature
- PDF documentation of the visited plants
- Transportation to and from tour facilities
- Lunch, snacks & beverages during the courses
- Certificate of participation
Participation fee: 2150 € + VAT
IBBK Biogas Training FAQ
Q: What is proBiogas International?
A: proBiogas International is IBBK’s bi-annual 7-day biogas training course that covers all aspects of biogas production from energy crops, industrial waste, household or kitchen wastes and every other organic waste in between. Besides the presentations, the program is enriched by visiting local biogas plants that show the introduced concepts in real life.
Q: Where can I find the program of this training?
A: You can download the program preview as a pdf-file HERE (subject to change)
Q: How long does the training take?
A: This training takes a total of 7 days, 4 days in week one, 3 days in week two. The weekend in between is perfect for relaxation, sightseeing and exploring Stuttgart’s local touristic specialties.
Q: How much does the training cost?
A: Participation in this training costs 1950 € for early birds and 2150 € for regular registration. All prices are subject to VAT. There is a special discount available for students and more than one participant per organisation. If this applies to you, please get in touch with us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: Is accommodation included in my participation fee?
A: No, accommodation is not included in your participation fee. Please check THIS LIST to find the closest hotels to the venue.
Q: How can I find accommodation in the area?
A: We have compiled a list of the closest hotel recommendations to the venue in a document. You can download it HERE. Alternatively, we also recommend looking under Airbnb.com
Q: Where is the training venue?
A: The training takes place at room HS20 at the State Institute of Agricultural Engineering and Bioenergy of the University of Hohenheim. The University of Hohenheim has a long tradition of biogas research projects and is a well established agricultural university.
Q: How can I get to Stuttgart?
A: Stuttgart has an international airport that is situated around 10-15 minutes by car or taxi from the event venue. You can also get to Stuttgart via train, coming from Munich, Frankfurt or Nürnberg. For the closest stop to the training venue, please exit at the metro station “Plieningen” or the bus station “Plieningen Garbe”.
Q: At what time does the training start on Tuesday (first day) and when does it end on Wednesday (last day)?
A: The training starts on Tuesday with the registration at 8:30 am and ends on Wednesday at 4 pm latest with the handout of the certificates.
Q: Will I get a certificate for my attendance?
A: Yes, you will get a signed certificate on the last day of this event. It includes your name, an overview of what you learnt during this training, the date and duration as well as two signatures. One of the representative of IBBK, the other one of the representative of the University of Hohenheim.
Q: Will I get the presentations of this training?
A: Yes, you will get all presentations of this training via a download link after the end of the training. This online folder also contains bonus material such as pictures taken during the training as well as a wealth of additional biogas and bioenergy related literature.
Q: Which meals are included in the participation fee?
A: On each day of the training, lunch menu as well as snacks, fruits, baked goods and drinks during coffee breaks are included in your participation fee.
Q: My question wasn’t mentioned here – how can I reach you?
A: For further inquiries, please write a quick message to email@example.com or simply call us during office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm CEST under +49(0)7954 / 926203 (you can tap to call on your smartphone).